The CYC Open Mic Night at the Carmel Youth Center is a monthly open mic night (2nd FRIDAY Each Month!)
exclusively for teen performers NOW FOR ADULTS TOO! It's a fun evening with some ridiculously talented performances. Besides our exceptional local talent, we've also had artists from Las Vegas and Los Angeles grace our stage. At any given show, you might get to see and hear award winning singer-songwriters, great local bands, and occasionally we'll have a professional touring band close the show. Each month is guaranteed to provide a music-filled evening with some of the most talented artists around.
SIGN UP TO PERFORM!
to add your name to the lineup.
The SoundCloud artists below have all performed at the CYC Open Mic Night. If you'd like your song featured here, send us a request at firstname.lastname@example.org
NEW: Audience members use a their smart phones and our custom web-app to give each performer a score between 0 and 100. After the last performer, audience members have a minute to submit their final scores with one click of a button. Winners are selected for each of the following categories:
- Best Solo Artist
- Best Group
- Best Spoken Word/Comedian
- Best Newb (1st time performing at CYC Open Mic)
- Best Original Song (Winner receives 1 hour recording session at Spirit Vision Studios)
- Best Adult (NEW! For a Solo or Group act with any performer 18 years old or older)
- People's Choice Award (for the performer with the highest average score from the audience)
IMPORTANT: Only the first 12 performers to sign up will qualify for prizes.
Once the prizes are awarded, those who signed up late, those who were too shy to be judged, and anyone interested in performing are allowed to perform. At each open mic night many of the performers stick around for an open jam. It's a great opportunity to meet and jam with new musician friends. And it's always fun. Occasionally, we'll have a professional touring band perform a short set as a special guest.
In addition to providing the only performance venue in the central coast area with a focus on teens, we provide volunteer opportunities for teens seeking community service hours. For each Open Mic, teen volunteers help operate the CYC Grill. They help set up the stage, including setting up and running the stage lighting for each show. Teen volunteers set up and run the sound system, including our 16-channel sound board. It is truly a teen production, with guidance provided by Carmel Youth Center staff and adult volunteers.
Creating a performance venue each month is not an inexpensive venture. Besides the cost of prizes, we also must pay for staff, equipment upgrades and repairs, advertising, etc. You can support performing arts for local youth by becoming a sponsor of the Open Mic Night @ The CYC.
Become a sponsor and you'll receive the following benefits:
- Your donations are tax deductible
(The Carmel Youth Center is a 501(c)3 California Non-Profit, Fed ID # 941415306)
- All sponsors will be listed on the CYC website
- If you have a banner, we can hang it prominently at each Open Mic Night
- During each Open Mic Night our MC, (usually local poet-actor-great-guy, Garland Thompson Jr.), will thank you and encourage the audience (between 60-150 people each night) to support your business.
- Sponsors will be featured periodically in our weekly emails (going out to more than 400 CYC members and supporters)
- Sponsors will be acknowledged in our annual reports, press releases, and other announcements to the media.
- You will receive a framed Certificate of Thanks so that your customers will will see that you support local youth, performance arts, and the Carmel Youth Center.
The CYC is committed to promoting music and performance arts for youth, and we can use your help. Much of our equipment is on temporary loan from local artists and sometimes we have trouble getting enough equipment for each show. If you have old equipment or instruments collecting dust, please consider donating them to the Carmel Youth Center. In addition to musical instruments, here are a few specific items we're hoping to get for our music programming and Open Mic Night:
- $100-$150 for prizes each month (movie tickets, gift cards, etc.)
- Guitar Amplifiers (e.g. Fender, Marshal, Roland, Mesa Boogie)
- Stage Lighting (approximately $500-$1000)
- 16-Channel PA System, with 16-channel cable snake
- Replacement for aging temporary stage (we would love to raise approximately $3,700 for a 12’ x 16’ x 24” (192 sq. ft.) Intellistage brand stage)